Friday, May 27, 2016

Hangin' in Haarlem

We got up around "super early" this morning to drive Janet to the airport in Amsterdam.  I'm sad to see her go, and the house will seem empty without her here!  We really only have a week left ourselves...but I enjoy her company, and we have had a great time together here.

So after we dropped Janet off, and said our "vaarwel's"....the dread pirate and I set off to go to Haarlem, to see the Corie Ten Boomhuis, and the Frans Hals Museum.  They both are right at the Grote Market which is in the center of the city.  We had such a great time!  I don't have pictures of the Ten Boom Museum, but I can tell you that it was really awesome....if you have ever read the Hiding Place, you will know what I mean.  Her story is remarkable and life changing, and all about forgiveness.  I want to meet this woman when I get to Heaven...I know that is where she landed.
After that we went out to the Grote market square...and well....this happened:

Aebleskivers!!!! Well, at least that's what I call them...here they are called Poffertjes.  Either way they are YUMMO!
Now THAT is an aebleskiver pan!
Yes....and I'm not ashamed!
And then this happened....(I blame it on the sugar rush I just had....)
Still not ashamed.....
It was such a touristy thing to do, but it needed doing...and I am just the person to do it!
We headed over to the Frans Hals museum....very fun.  Here's a few pics...



 another go around in the market....

 Everyone rides bikes here, in every city, old and young....I mean EVERYONE!!

the Church in the market square....really cool!

We ran into the FRIETHUIS!  oh my goodness!
They serve Mayonnaise on "frits" all over Europe....I think we might be hooked on that change...
Rob was in Friethuis Heaven!

No comments: